Sunday, September 8, 2013

SCG Worcester Prep - Standard

So, I'm looking ahead to SCG Worcester and have been preparing for the event.  I'm going to keep the specific list I've been running a secret, but, I'm willing to talk about the format in general and what I have found.  Here's the primary thing to realize:

Naya Midrange is EXTREMELY efficient and very hard to deal with.  If your strategy isn't focused and prepared, the deck will simply tear it apart.

This means that I would stay away from random brews and 1-drop based aggro unless you are convinced they can handle Naya.  For the brews, that is possible but unlikely.  I'm pretty sure anything playing Rakdos Cackler and/or Experiment One is just going to get its ass kicked by Naya.

I am not playing the strategy, but a friend of mine is, so I won't post our exact list, but, sufficed to say, it's not really that much of a mystery.  Play a bunch of 3/3's and 4/4's with Domri and go to town, we do have some special tech prepared though, so that's why I'm not posting the full 75.

My own personal plan is to play Esper, as I indicated last time.  The list has changed quite a bit with new reveals, and there is definitely a lot of tech in the Esper list.  I will talk about it more publicly after the event.  If you are interested in tap-out control though, let me know.  It is not impossible for me to be persuaded to give out some tech.

Now, for something I can tell you.  This deck is good, can handle Naya, and probably can handle the random stuff.  I think Esper is slightly better, so I'm not playing it, but if you are inclined to play this sort of deck, you are welcome to start here:

4x Chain to the Rocks
4x Syncopate
2x Essence Scatter
3x Render Silent
2x Mizzium Mortars
4x Supreme Verdict
3x Detention Sphere
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2x Turn//Burn
4x Steam Augury
3x Sphinx's Revelation

4x Steam Vents
4x Hallowed Fountain
4x Sacred Foundry
4x Azorius Guildgate
4x Island
2x Mountain
1x Plains

Weissman-style control is viable, and is a threat in this format.  You can play Aetherling in the Elspeth slot if you really want, and some number of Heliod might be good.  I threw this main together last night after seeing Steam Augury and played with it a bit.  It definitely has a lot of teeth, but from testing against Esper and Naya, I still feel more comfortable playing Esper.

Well, that's all

No comments:

Post a Comment